Here we are in the long, grey abyss that is winter in the Northern Hemisphere. When it’s frigid outside, it’s natural for us to crave comfort food. And what’s more comfortable than soup? The foundation of any great soup is stock. Accordingly, we set out to cook up some wonderful chicken stock in a CVap® oven. Of course, since it could be done overnight, it was a no muss, no fuss, no sweat process.
Most importantly, this recipe will produce quarts and quarts of stock!
CVap Cook and Hold or Retherm Oven
- Cook Time – 8 Hours
- Vapor (Cook) – 180°F
- Air (Cook) – 210°F
- Hold Infinite
- Vapor (Hold) – 135°F
- Air (Hold) – 136°F
The Chicken Stock – The Process
- Preheat the oven to the program above.
- Evenly distribute ingredients through three 6” full hotel pans (or any kind of deep pan or assortment of pans that will fit into the oven).
- Once everything is situated, hit the ENTER button to start the program.
- Go home!
- Come back the next morning to a beautifully simmered and clear chicken stock.
- Carefully remove pans from the ovens. Using tongs, remove chicken from the stock liquid. This chicken can be shredded for soup, or frozen for future use.
- Strain the stock through cheesecloth, to remove larger pieces of chicken, bone, and vegetable.
To be sure, the resulting stock is outstanding. It’s nearly clear, savory, and perfect for soups. Of course, go ahead and freeze any chicken stock that you don’t use right away. It will bring you comfort long after the winter snows have melted.