Traditionally, most cooks use various types of steamers or specialized cookers to prepare rice. A customer asked if you could cook it in a CVap Cook and Hold Oven. The answer is yes.
Rice Brings Challenges
The challenge with preparing rice in traditional ovens is water calibration. Too much water and the rice is too sticky and turns to mush. On the other hand, too little water and the rice grains do not fully cook and are too toothsome!
Follow the recipe below and your rice will be perfect every time!
Recipe: Cook Rice in CVap
Summary: Preparing rice in CVap oven.
- 2 Quarts unpolished unfortified rice
- 3 Quarts water or broth of choice
- Salt to taste
- Set CVap Cook and Hold Oven to 200°F Vapor/200°F Air.
- Rinse rice until rinsing water is no longer white.
- Place rice and water in 2.25″ 12×20 hotel pan.
- Place rice in oven and cook for 35 minutes. Perfect rice every time!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 25 – 4 oz servings
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
For more information on US-grown rice visit our friends at USA Rice.